NWK Reviews Ring of Honor Road to the Title

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
NWK2000

NWK Reviews Ring of Honor Road to the Title

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 26th, '19, 14:58

Da Hit Squad and Homicide pump up Low Ki: AWESOME. They pep talk Low Ki, and really get him going when they bring up Daniels. Ki punches a wall a bunch and declares that the Ring of Honor title will be his. THIS is how we should be opening up shows, with main eventers looking badass with their cool gangsta friends.

Intro: Similar to last time, but with more road signs, and a text that reads "All Roads Lead to Philadelphia. Also the music is synched near perfectly with the video

American Dragon vs Bio-Hazard video package: Bad. The winner is determined by the amount of footage available

Bio-Hazard vs American Dragon

Bio-Hazard looks like a wacky CAW from a video game, too wacky for Ring of Honor. Bio gets some cool stuff right away, including an off the top rope neck snap. Bio misses a sloppy looking Lionsault but counters out of a Dragon Sleeper, into a Fisherman's Suplex . Strong style strike exchange to get over Dragon. Dragon dominates with suplexes and just wins with the Cattle Mutilation. Both guys follow The Code. This is above average by the standards of Ring of Honor openers so far, but a wacky match full of moves for the sake of them.

4/10

Paul London vs Spanky video package: Delightfully wacky. London gets high flying moves played and then rewound, where Spanky gets the flashing letters of his name. This is all set to a Pat Benatar knockoff.

Paul London vs Spanky

I think the Spanky of 2002 traveled forward in time, saw that I mocked him for not changing his entrance in 20 years, and decided to screw with me by wearing the same white studded jacket he wore when he was The Brian Kendrick.

The guys start with some crusierweight exchanges and a standoff, which gets a pop Crazy monkeyflip counter out of an arm drag, more submissions. More arm drags and flips, which ends when Paul hits a spinning wheel kick, sending Spanky to the outside. Spanky avoids a suicide dive and takes control. Dropkick to a downed London for a 2. Snap suplex into a cradle for a two. London fights back with strikes and basically hits Whisper in the Wind. Spanky misses a Spinning Wheel Kick and gets hit with a crazy superkick. London misses a shooting star but blocks a Sliced Bread. Triangle enzuguri by London knocking Spanky out of the ring. Flipping sucide dive by London. Asai moonsault, and Spanky gets his foot on the ropes. Another close two for London. London crotches himself on the top and they're both on top. Horrific botch where both man fall, and London appears to land on his head. Spanky hits a scary looking suplex/DDT. More moves, and Spanky wins with a Sliced Bread. This started out good, but went too long and got really botchy. Both guys follow the Code, but Spanky only appears to do so at Rudy's instruction, who was at ringside

5/10

Briscoe vs Williams package: Bad, just a move montage set to generic metal.

Jay Briscoe vs Doug Williams

The winner of this goes on to face American Dragon. The story of this match is that Jay is the better power grappler, but Doug is more versed in submission. Doug throws off Jay when he blocks the Jay driller and is able to hit Chaos Theory for the win. Mark Briscoe, who came out separately from Jay to watch the match. Mark gives Jay a hard time for losing, both guys follow The Code.

6/10

Jody Flesch vs Jonny Storm package: Two guys I don't know set to weird techno music. This is just strange.

Jody Flesch vs Jonny Storm

Crazy flip exchange to start. We learn Jody is a Michinoku Pro import, so that makes sense. More flips. Jonny hits a shoulder block with such force he goes through the second rope and hits the barricade. Ouch, what a spot. Botched German suplex, back to flips. Top rope Suicide Shooting Star by Jody. Roll up exchange. GERMAN SUPLEX OFF THE TOP ROPE. For a two. Rewind Frankensteiner for a two. The commentators are audibly winded. 720 DDT for a rope break 720 DDT blocked, Rewind Frankensteiner reversed into a powerbomb for a three and Jody wins. I like to imagine that this is what Jim Cornette sees in his nightmares. Psychology was completely absent, and normally I love spotfests but the German Suplex off the top not being the finish because they had to get their finishers in killed me.

6.5/10

The CSC want Jerry Lynn to eat bananas: And Jerry doesn't get the phalic nature. Waka waka! Also Jerry is wearing an ECW t-shirt, which makes him look homeless. CSC think the other wrestlers are intimidated by them and skip away merrily. That popped me.

Prince Nana vs Low Ki package: These two were grouped in the tournament because Ki and Nana's altercation at Night of Appreciation. This is the only match so far that isn't cold.

Prince Nana vs Low Ki

Low Ki gets his ass kicked, and then knocks out Nana with one kick. This is treated like a shoot, with a bunch of guys coming out to check on Nana, This has all the ingredients of a dud, but this serves a couple different purposes, It sells how dangerous Ki is, keeps Ki fresh for his next match, and teaches us an exploit to Low Ki, that one must jump him to get ahead of him.
No rating

Jerry Lynn and Xavier listen to music Jerry shares his headphones to introduce Xavier to a new band. One could argue it's a waste of time but I love stuff like this, it makes ROH feel like a lockeroom full of real people with real hobbies.

Xavier vs Amazing Red video package: Awesome, Full of trippy screen effects, the theme of which is 'X vs R'
Red gets wished good luck by the rest of the Whipwreck Crew: Good, as this hopefully wraps up the Whipwreck Crew feud but why wasn't this inserted before the video package?

Xavier vs Amazing Red

The winner faces Low-Ki. Xavier throws Red around to start but Red counters back with some urgent looking high flying moves. Red gets momentum, but Xavier powerbombs him to counter a huricanrana. Xavier counters a huricanrana with a handspring forearm. which was insane. Red takes advantage of a gloating Xavier for a two. Red kicks out of a crazy looking facebuster. Xavier misses a 450 and gets his hand stomped on. Red hits a crazy DDT. Xavier blocks the Red Alert but gets spinning wheel kicked for his efforts and hit with the Red Star for the upset win! Xavier appeared to kick out at 3.5 Both guys follow The Code. This was a match that despite the crazy moves never really lost sight of how much Red was exerting to win.

7.5/10

Xavier and Daniels meet back stage Good. Daniels was counting on Xavier to take Low Ki out and is pissed at him. He then turns to Red and demands he take out Low Ki. Xavier stands up to Daniels and tells him to be ready for either man.

Scoot Andrews vs Daniels video package: recaps Scoot's challenge and has some rip off Enter Sandman song for the highlights.

Scoot Andrews gets his picture taken: weird. Scoot is getting promotional pictures taken and is introduced by some random guy to Sumie Sakai. Was not expecting to see her here.

Christopher Daniels promo: He basically says what he said at Night of Appreciation. He said that a prophecy foretold he and a group of athletes will destroy Ring of Honor. The first member of the Prophecy is Simply Luscious.

Christopher Daniels vs Scoot Andrews

The winner of this takes on either AJ Styles or Jerry Lynn Scoot paradoxically takes entirely too long to come out and runs to the ring. Scoot starts out like a house of fire, Daniels fights back but Scoot fights back. They block each other's stuff, and Scoot gets a nearfall. Another nearfall for Scoot. Daniels hits the STO, Urinage, and BME for the pinfall win.

2/10

post match: Luscious talks shit on the mic and hits Scoot. Scoot says he won't hit a woman, but Sumie Sakai will! Wait what? How did Scoot know Daniels would have Luscious with him

Simply Luscious w/ Christopher Daniels vs. Sumie Sakai
w/ Scoot Andrews

This was a bad, botchy women's match, book ended by disgusting Steve Corino commentary. Also Sumie wins, great showing for your burgeoning top heel faction everyone!
DUD

Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles package: Fun video package with growly death metal music, as per standard Jerry Lynn appearances.

Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles

Lot of hold for hold stuff to start which ends with them coliding in the center of the ring and retreating back to corners. This was cool. The collision hurt both men's arms. From there, Jerry has AJ's number, winning strike exchanges and countering his moves. AJ gets a Superkick and a two count. Jerry eventually fights backm ad works the head and neck for the Cradle Piledriver. AJ goes back to arm. Jerry gets a rope break and fights back. AJ gets a fall away neckbreaker for the two and goes back to the arm. Enzuguri by AJ for a double down. Rollup exchange followed by a German Suplex by Jerry for a two. Twisting Senton by AJ for two. DDT and Ace Crusher by Jerry for two. AJ slips out of Jerry's next move for a Styles Clash for the win! This was amazing, a good blend of psychology and big moves.

8/10

The semi-final matches are
AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels
Jody Flesch vs Spanky
Low Ki vs Amazing Red
American Dragon vs Doug Williams

Tag Team segment Dunn and Marcos interrupt intermission and say that they are the top tag team in Ring of Honor. Da Hit Squad promptly murder them. This brings out Divine Storm. Chris Divine basically channels me, and asks how they can claim to be the top tag team in Ring of Honor when they just beat people up. Quiet Storm says Da Hit Squad aren't (censored). This brings out the SAT. This leads to a big brawl. Da Hit Squad get double teamed out. The smaller guys get their lucha spots in, and get a big pile up spot outside the ring. YMCA hits and the crowd pop huge as the CSC show up. The Natural Born Sinners show up and beat up the CSC and spank Danger. Now the Carnage Crew show up and brawl with NBS. Now Da Hit Squad attack Carnage Crew . Homcide teases the Cop Killa but Da Hit Squad wants the sinners to GET THE TABLES, One Carnage Crew member gets powerbombed off the apron onto another, through a table. This sounded terrifying. Then, Da Hit Squad say they're the number one tag team, which pisses off NBS. NBS and Da Hit Squad walk away, but Homicide is pissed. Backstage, Hit Squad and NBS go downstairs to settle things, and Ki says no cameras allowed. This was GREAT! I called for this last review and I got it, and we get a side angle between NBS and Hit Squad.

Jody Flesch vs Spanky

Some crazy moves to start. Spanky crotches Jody on a suicide dive and takes control Jody blocks Sliced Bread and does a dive that's so fierce it takes out the barricade. This was cool, and I like the story of people blocking major moves to gain momentum so far. Jody gets a pop from the crowd for even being able to stand up after that. Jody lands on his feet from a Shooting Star pres and gets a near fall on Spanky after blocking a powerbomb. Spanky gets a nearfall and gets his temper over. Sliced Bread #2 out of nowhere for the win! This was a fun match with a good story. Both guys follow The Code, so I guess we're just abandoning ship on the Spanky heel turn?

7/10

Doug Williams vs American Dragon

Oh God I forgot they called Williams "The Anarchist". What an unfitting nickname. The story thusfar is that they are even in grappling, but Dragon is the better striker. Submission exchange straight out of a New Japan junior tournament ends when Dragon judo throws Williams. Hey it's the goofy monkey flip arm stretch spot from Jushin Liger vs Great Sasuke at Super J Cup 1994. elbow exchange in the leg tieup. Douglas locks in a long abdominal stretch. Williams works the back when Dragon fights back. Williams goes up top and gets dropkicked in the knee on the way down. Dragon locks in a figure four and they maintain it despite rolling out of the ring. They go for an apron suplex but just suplex each other out. The fact that they're clawing to get into the ring and getting hit with moves that send them back out makes this feel like a fight. Rolling Abdominal Stretch Pin. Dragon gets a flurry but Williams hits a swinging DDT for a two. Uppercut exchange. Diving Headbutt by Dragon for a two. Dragon kicks out of Chaos Theory, the third finisher he's kicked out of (Ki Krusher, Sliced Bread) in Ring of Honor. Douglas counters the Cattle Mutilation into a suplex, neck bridge roll up, and wins! Wow! What an upset win! This was a great match

9/10
Amazing Red vs Low Ki

Ki hits the scariest strike flurish I've ever seen on Red after Red hits a kick. There are more strike and a flip exchange. People love Red but they love scary intense Low Ki more. The crowd is electric. More crazy strikes. Low Ki boosts Red into the corner from a Monkey Flip position. Red Star press out of nowhere for a two count. Neckbreaker off the top for a two. Rolling Capo Kick sends Red into the bottom turnbuckle hard. Red blocks a handspring something with a missile dropkick. Handspring kick on the apron and super kick sends Red spiraling out to the floor. Red hits a swinging DDT for a double down. Low Ki blocks a dive with a brutal knee. Red hits a front flip out of the Ki Krusher. Low Ki hits a Poisonrana for a double down. Ki blocks a Poisonrana and hits a hard uppercut, and instead of hitting a Ki Krusher, just slams Red into the turnbuckle! Red fights back in and hits a spinning wheel kick on Low Ki who's up top. KI CRUSHER OFF THE TOP1 KI WINS! When Red was on offense, it was just moves. Beyond that, Red played his role as the underdog PERFECTLY, and Ki went as hard as he ever has. Watch this match immediately

9.5/10

Post match: Brian XL shows up and rants incomprehensibly on the mic before turning on Red. The SAT show up to send XL packing with a double Spanish Fly. This was pointless, much like any time Brian XL appears

The NBS challenger Carnage Crew to a Bunkhouse match: YES. I'm very excited for this.

Bizarrely, we get the entrances for Daniels vs Styles and then we get
Brian XL breaks up with Divine Storm: He's mad about his tag team friends not having his back. Brian says he'll find a partner. Divine Storm doesn't think he's capable of making friends. An inoffensive segment, but placed weirdly

AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels w/ Simply Luscious

Jesus, even their lockups are full of fire. Technical, basic exchanges to start. Eventually it's clear that AJ is going for high flying dazzling moves. (a headscissors while laying down, Tiger Feint Flip) whereas Daniels sticks to more traditional pro wrestling. Big fight on the apron after some suplex blocking gets AJ sent into the guard rail. AJ is bleeding. Daniels beats him up until AJ dodges a BME. Another fight on the apron, this time ending in a moonsault to Daniels who's hung on the ropes. Daniels fights back with a chancery and a moonsault to AJ hung on the ropes AJ fights back but Daniels snuffs it out. Daniels counters a Styles Clash with an ankle lock. Rollup exchange, Daniels counters the moonsault DDT into the Last Rites for the three count. This was the Christopher Daniels show, and why shouldn't he get a GREAT showcase against a top babyface going into the championship match. It will be Daniels, Low Ki, Williams, and Spanky to decide the champion at the next show, with a Ki vs Styles rematch booked for the August show!

9/10
Post match: Daniels rants into the mic. Donny B shows up for a big announcement but Daniels keeps stealing the mic. Spanky shows up and punches out Daniels on behalf of all the fans and other wrestlers. Ring of Honor TV starts September 2002. And I don't think this lasted very long.

The title presentation: Daniels tries to steal the belt before they can reveal it, leading to big brawl to close the show. This was dumb.

Conclusion

The first round of tournament matches were a bit of chore to watch because while we had good matches, they were very short , but the second round was amazing, with yet another near perfect match for Low Ki, and elements moving into place (tag team competition, The Prophecy) to make ROH feel like a true promotion.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWK Reviews Ring of Honor Road to the Title

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 26th, '19, 16:22

Was this the first time you had seen the Matrix Minute?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Feb 27th, '19, 10:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 26th, '19, 16:22 Was this the first time you had seen the Matrix Minute?
I think I'd seen elements of it when he was in TNA (the sweep followed by the axe kick). But not in its entirety. And it wasn't just that, it was that that ferocity carried on for the entire match. Usually you get some cool strike spots and just a normal wrestling match after. Ki here was insanely good and I wonder how long that goes for.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 27th, '19, 10:58

NWK2000 wrote: Feb 27th, '19, 10:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 26th, '19, 16:22 Was this the first time you had seen the Matrix Minute?
I think I'd seen elements of it when he was in TNA (the sweep followed by the axe kick). But not in its entirety. And it wasn't just that, it was that that ferocity carried on for the entire match. Usually you get some cool strike spots and just a normal wrestling match after. Ki here was insanely good and I wonder how long that goes for.
It's a really special thing to see in it's entirety, especially if you're not expecting the whole thing. I don't think anything like it had been seen in wrestling before, and it would be another eleven years (Amasis vs. Ophidian at CHIKARA Anniversario: Never Compromise) until we would see something like it again.

Ki's real greatnesss goes on for about the first year. Then he gets injured and he always has his aura, but the matches after that aren't quite as good from that point on aside from some of his 2005 stuff.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3