BRM Reviews the 1/14/2017 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/14/2017 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 17th, '17, 13:56

THE REBELLION vs. DONOVAN DIJAK, JAY WHITE, & LIO RUSH- 6.75/10
Rhett Titus appears to have joined the Aces & Eights. This was a fun, exciting opener. The Rebellion are coming together as an in-ring unit very well. The Rebellion attacked the babyfaces after the match- particularly Rush, who once again pinned Caprice- but MCMG made the save.

MARTY SCURLL VIDEO PACKAGE- great! He’ll debut next week.

CODY RHODES PROMO- awesome

CORINO & CODY SEGMENT- terrible
Then Steve Corino came out and Kevin Kelly started to excitedly scream “YES! YES! It’s all starting to make sense! This is what BJ Whitmer meant when he said ‘a brother had to be sacrificed.’”
Um… mind showing your work on that one, Kevin? That seems like an awfully big leap to me. I mean… yes, Cody is Dusty’s son so I guess he ties in to this silliness in that way, but then who is the sacrificed brother? Dustin? A far more logical explanation to me seems to be that Whitmer was talking about him and his spiritual brother, Kevin Sullivan’s other spiritual son, Steve Corino, and that Corino is out here now for the unrelated reason that Cody shoved him at Final Battle.

Well… Sullivan, Whitmer, and Martinez have come out on stage so I guess I was wrong, but that’s doesn’t make Kevin Kelly’s guess any more reasonable based on the information available at the time.
They do a bit based off of an angle that happened in ECW almost twenty years ago. Well… it’s better than something that happened thirty-three years ago and was only seen in a small part of the country. Cody repeats to Steve the same disrespectful words that Steve said to Dusty in this same building in 1999. Then Steve says that he loved Dusty and Dusty was his hero. Really, Steve? Because those words you said to him seem to contradict that.
Then Steve talks more about this brother sacrifice crap, and tells Cody “it’s either you or your brother.” They do know that Dustin works for WWE, right? Cody slaps Corino so Corino drops him with a Bionic Elbow, and Tod Sinclair just unilaterally decides that this should be a wrestling match so he orders the bell to be rung.

STEVE CORINO vs. CODY RHODES- DUD!
Kevin Kelly said that it is “finally becoming clear” that Steve Corino has joined Sullivan’s group. Am I the only one who did not get that impression AT ALL from the previous segment? I mean… okay, he’s wearing his “evil” tights, but it’s not like he has a pair of “good” tights that he wears as a babyface, and he was a total babyface in the last segment. And now, in this match, Cody is still being a heel and Corino is wrestling like a babyface.

Kevin Kelly’s commentary here got so contradictory and painfully overdramatic that I had to shut it off, or else risk throwing my laptop in a fit of rage. Suffice it to say he would comment about things like the “strange logo” on Corino’s t-shirt (which we never got a good shot of so we the viewers at home had no idea it was strange) showing that he is on the evil side, but then talk about him being visibly conflicted (he didn’t look like it to me. And we never even got a good view of his face so I’m wondering how Kevin saw this), then he’d point out how Corino was the one using Dusty’s moves and tell us how important Dusty was to Corino.
They did stuff for a while and it was boring. Cody cheated a bit. Then Corino hit a package piledriver. Then he went to get his spike of evil, so maybe he is evil? Well Cody is evil, too, because he kicks Steve in the nuts. Then he waits a while, then pins him with a simple elbow drop. This sucks.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Lethal comes out to brawl with Cody. I guess he just ran right past the Sullivan crew? Cody ran away.

JAY LETHAL PROMO- great promo on Cody!

DECADE OF EXCELLENCE TOURNAMENT FIRST-ROUND MATCH: Jay Lethal vs. Jushin “Thunder” Liger- 6/10
Way too short.

A frustrating show from ROH. There is no reason for the matches to be this short in ROH!
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3