FIRST-EVER DECADE OF EXCELLENCE TOURNAMENT starts DEC. 4th in PHILLY

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

FIRST-EVER DECADE OF EXCELLENCE TOURNAMENT starts DEC. 4th in PHILLY

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '16, 09:57

www.ROHWrestling.com wrote:Eight stars who debuted in Ring of Honor over a decade ago will compete in the first-ever Decade of Excellence Tournament, which begins Dec. 4th at the historic 2300 Arena in Philadelphia.

The finals take place on Jan. 14th at Atlanta’s Center Stage, with the winner receiving a shot at the ROH World Championship (which is currently held by Adam Cole) at the 15th Anniversary pay-per-view on March 10th in Las Vegas.

First-round matches of the tournament are as follows:

CHRISTOPHER DANIELS VS. MARK BRISCOE

Daniels is one of the “Founding Fathers” of ROH. The cunning veteran competed in the main event of the inaugural ROH show in February 2002 in Philadelphia, a Triple Threat Match against Bryan Danielson and Low Ki. He is a four-time former co-holder of the ROH World Tag Team Title and a former ROH World Television Champion.

Briscoe and his brother, Jay, have held the ROH World Tag Team Title a record eight times and are regarded as one of the greatest tag teams in the world. In Mark’s first match in ROH, he defeated his brother in August 2002.

ALEX SHELLEY VS. COLT CABANA

Shelley, one-half of The Motor City Machine Guns with Chris Sabin, made his ROH debut in June 2003. He has been a member of two of ROH’s top factions, Generation Next and The Embassy, and he is a three-time former co-holder of New Japan-Pro Wrestling’s IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship.

Cabana made his ROH debut in December 2002 by defeating CM Punk. He and Punk went on to become two-time ROH World Tag Team Champions. Cabana has won titles all over the world and has come very close on several occasions over the years to winning the ROH World Title.

JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER VS. JAY LETHAL

Liger, a Japanese legend who is perhaps the most influential junior heavyweight of all time, made his much-anticipated ROH debut in November 2004 when he headlined two “Weekend of Thunder” shows named in his honor. Liger, who has competed in four decades, is still going strong in both ROH and NJPW.

Lethal competed in his first match in ROH in January 2003 when he was just 17. He has gone on to become one of the biggest stars in ROH history. Lethal is a former ROH World Champion, two-time former ROH World Television Champion and former ROH Pure Champion.

BJ WHITMER VS. JAY BRISCOE

Whitmer has the dubious distinction of being one of the most despicable competitors in ROH history, but there’s no denying his success. Whitmer, who debuted in ROH in January 2003, is a four-time former co-holder of the ROH World Tag team Title and has been a member of two influential factions in ROH -- The Prophecy and The Decade.

No one has held more titles in ROH than Briscoe, who is an eight-time former ROH World Tag Team Champion and one of only three men in history to have held the ROH World Championship twice. He competed on ROH’s first show in February 2002.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: FIRST-EVER DECADE OF EXCELLENCE TOURNAMENT starts DEC. 4th in PHILLY

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '16, 10:05

LOL at how most of these guys haven't actually been in the company for ten years (only the Briscoes and Whitmer qualify). Liger's inclusion in particular is silly. You might as well use Sabin instead because at least he is an actual part of the roster.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '16, 10:22

Previous post got me thinking about who actually has spent ten years in ROH. Here is the list I have come up with:
Jay Briscoe
Mark Briscoe
BJ Whitmer
Jimmy Jacobs
Roderick Strong
Rhett Titus
Nigel (though not all as an in-ring competitor)
Corino (although mostly as an announcer and only really four full years in-ring)
Delirious (he's been more active in the ring than Corino for the past few years, I believe)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '16, 11:09

Because I am extremely bored I decided to come up with a list of guys who have appeared in an ROH ring at least once in ten different calendar years:
Jay Briscoe
Mark Briscoe
BJ Whitmer
Jimmy Jacobs
Roderick Strong
Delirious
Steve Corino
Colt Cabana
Christopher Daniels
Homicide
Jay Lethal
Rhett Titus
Alex Shelley
Rocky Romero
Nigel McGuinness (not all as an in-ring competitor)
Prince Nana (though a few of those years were just sporadic appearances on commentary)

The only guys to do it in ten consecutive years were Roddy, Delirious, Homicide, and Rhett

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '16, 11:13

if Liger is coming, here's hoping they call Pelle Primeau and The Carnage Crew

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 8th, '16, 11:34

Big Red Machine wrote:Because I am extremely bored I decided to come up with a list of guys who have appeared in an ROH ring at least once in ten different calendar years:
Jay Briscoe
Mark Briscoe
BJ Whitmer
Jimmy Jacobs
Roderick Strong
Delirious
Steve Corino
Colt Cabana
Christopher Daniels
Homicide
Jay Lethal
Rhett Titus
Alex Shelley
Rocky Romero
Prince Nana (though a few of those years were just sporadic appearances on commentary)

The only guys to do it in ten consecutive years were Roddy, Delirious, Homicide, and Rhett
Generico is 1 year away.
American Wolves are both 2 yrs from it. I think Sydal and Hero too
Adam Pearce had matches in 8 years, but maybe he did appearances in-between that are not in the record books

yet Liger who is in the tournament, has only been in 4 different years (7 total matches)

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '16, 12:36

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Because I am extremely bored I decided to come up with a list of guys who have appeared in an ROH ring at least once in ten different calendar years:
Jay Briscoe
Mark Briscoe
BJ Whitmer
Jimmy Jacobs
Roderick Strong
Delirious
Steve Corino
Colt Cabana
Christopher Daniels
Homicide
Jay Lethal
Rhett Titus
Alex Shelley
Rocky Romero

Generico is 1 year away.
American Wolves are both 2 yrs from it. I think Sydal and Hero too
Adam Pearce had matches in 8 years, but maybe he did appearances in-between that are not in the record books

yet Liger who is in the tournament, has only been in 4 different years (7 total matches)

Upon further review, both Michael Elgin and Shane Hagadorn can be added to the list of people who have appeared in both ten years and ten consecutive years (Hagadorn made one appearance in 2012 [the same as Hero's only appearance, in which Hero dumped him]). Also, I somehow forgot that the Briscoes have been around for ten consecutive years.

Hero is actually one year away (he appeared in the ring at the end of Final Battle 2013 to lay out Cole and Hardy to set-up his 2014 run)
Chris Sabin is currently at nine, so he will likely join the club next year.
Generico is actually two years away (I think both Steen and Gabe have said that Generico wasn't Weapon of Masked Destruction #2 at Final Battle 2004, despite the persistent rumor.
Pearce is actually at nine (he appeared and wrestled at DBD XII weekend for the Decade angle).
Sydal is only at 7 (2004-2007, 2014-2016)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation