BRM Reviews the 9/10/2016 ROH (disappointing)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/10/2016 ROH (disappointing)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 21st, '16, 16:41

LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (Jay Lethal, Tetsuya Naito, & EVIL) vs. BULLET CLUB (Adam Cole, Adam Page, & Yujiro Takahashi)- no rating. Frustrating segment.
For absolutely no reason other than to be a dick, Naito decides to be a dick to Lethal, then walks out on him. And before anyone says “well that’s Naito’s thing: he’s a dick to people and walks out on his partners,” let me point out that he doesn’t do it members of his own stable (which is what Lethal was portrayed as). And if they’re not part of the same group, then Lethal looks like a f*cking idiot for thinking he can trust the guy who walked out on him last time they teamed up and his buddy who calls himself “EVIL!”
After they leave, Lethal is beaten down three-on-one until Michael Elgin decides to show up and Nigel just lets him in the match. Eventually Bullet Club beats Elgin down, too, and Kyle O’Reilly is allowed to just show up and jump in the match completely fresh. Lethal eventually pins Yujiro, even though he isn’t the guy getting the title shot at the next PPV.
I know they’re building to Lethal vs. Naito at the PPV, but they didn’t need to build it up with this Sports Entertainment “I’m going to walk out on my partner for no reason” bullsh*t. All you have to do is mention that Naito walked out on Lethal in May and then show the clip of whatever issue they had during/after the main event of Field of Honor 2016. If you want to book O’Reilly and Elgin helping Lethal beat Bullet Club, why not use last week’s segment to set up that Lethal has to find some partners, then air clips of him recruiting partners? And if you wanted to do it really well, you’d have the babyfaces not want to help Lethal after his long heel run, but only Kyle (who both hates Cole and got to experience Lethal’s change first-hand), and Elgin (who is willing to give anyone a second chance after the way everyone gave him a second chance after his behavior after losing the title) are willing to help him.

At the end of this segment, with no build whatsoever, they just randomly announced that Elgin would get the PPV title shot against Cole, so nobody tell me they “had” to do this bullsh*t with the Ingobernables instead of just randomly booking Lethal vs. Naito.

BOBBY FISH PROMO- bad. I have no idea what the hell he was talking about for most of it, and the other parts were over-dramatic to the point where I found Fish very obnoxious.

ADDICTION PROMO- fine.

JAY LETHAL PROMO- OH COME ON! Where is the main event Kevin Kelly told me was going to start five minutes ago?!
Also, as someone who watches all of the shows, I thought it was very stupid that Lethal comes out and cuts this promo on Naito now, even though this is the SECOND time Naito has committed this particular crime against him, and the first one was MONTHS AGO and no mention was made of it whatsoever aside from a non-specific passing mention by Kevin Kelly earlier tonight.
Nigel gives Lethal the match against Naito he wants, but then decides to be a dick to Lethal for no reason, saying “but Jay… remember what happened the last time you begged for a match.”

ROH TV TITLE MATCH: Bobby Fish(c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata- 4/10
There are less than fifteen minutes of non-commercial time left when the belt rings for this big TV Title match main event featuring a big Japanese star. And now I can see even less of it because they keep showing me Prince Nana on commentary. The match was meh for a while and then Shibata started doing his stupid Shibata spots. The last minute or two brought it back up, though (if “back up” to 4/10 is “saving” it to you).

After the match ended, Donovan Dijak came out on stage, but no one paid any attention to him. Instead, Fish and Shibata went nose-to-nose. Then Nigel announced that Steve Corino’s suspension would be up and he is going to be back on commentary next week. Oh great. Now we’re going to have to hear about this Kevin Sullivan sh*t in every segment.

Another frustrating, disappointing episode of ROH.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3