BRM Reviews ROH Destiny

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH Destiny

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '11, 00:22

ROH Destiny (6/3/2006)- East Windsor, CT

ARIES & STRONG PROMO- pretty good

GREAT Video package hyping hype Homicide’s title shot tonight:

DAVEY RICHARDS vs. JIMMY RAVE (w/Prince Nana)- 7.25/10. Not a shabby debut at all for Davey.

TOP OF THE CLASS TROPHY MATCH: DEREK DEMPSEY(c) (w/Bobby Dempsey) vs. Shane Hagadorn- 4.5/10. This match scared me. It seems like Shane Hagadorn actually had potential at some point.

SARA DEL REY vs. DAIZEE HAZE-4.5/10. Wow this is old. So old that Death Rey is still going by her “American Angel” nickname. Daizee deserved to lose this match for making her own finisher look so damn bad. Worst. Yakuza kick… ever. Not too impressive an ROH (main show) debut for Sara, but apparently it was good enough.

Dragon comes out and puts Death Rey over on the mic, then cuts a great promo.

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH FOR A WORLD TITLE SHOT: Jason Blade vs. Delirious vs. Adam Pearce vs. Colt Cabana- 6/10

BJ WHITMER vs. CHRISTOPHER DANIELS (w/Allison Danger)- 7.5/10
This match started off with a promo by BJ Whitmer which REALLY pissed me off. BJ says that this whole ROH vs. CZW war has taught him the true meaning of hate, and that he now realizes that he never truly hated Daniels or Danger. He then apologizes to them, including telling Danger “I never should have laid my hands on you in the first place”… Let’s examine the situation that event arose from. Danger was delusional, and could not accept the reality that Maff & Whitmer did not want to keep their stable going. They wanted to be babyfaces, not heels. Danger threatened them, telling them “You’ll be sorry!”
Then, on the next show, after Maff & Whitmer lost a tough match, Danger came out to taunt them. Whitmer shoved her, and she stumbled backwards into Homicide, who hit her with the Cop Killer. On the next show, the DELUSIONAL Danger blamed Whitmer for everything. Danger then spent the next few months bringing in various tag teams to try and put Maff & Whitmer OUT OF WRESTLING PERMANENTLY. She was a DELUSIONAL HEEL, who was being mean and threatening him… all he did was shove her. He had no idea that she would bump into Cide, or that Cide would react in the way he did. So why the hell are they making it seem like BJ was in the wrong? Even if Whitmer became the heel by attacking Daniels, leading their match at the Four Anniversary Show (which was interrupted by the CZW guys, which explains why this match has been put off until now), now that BJ is a babyface again, there is no reason at all to make it seem as if he was wrong. Hell… now that she is a babyface, and that Daniels is following the Code of Honor… why not have DANGER apologize?! (She does after the match, but SHE was the one who both started and continued everything! The impetus to apologize should have been on her, not BJ).

After the match, Daniels put BJ over on the mic.

SHINGO TAKAGI vs. RICKY REYES (w/Julius Smokes) – 5.25/10. Disappointingly short.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Bryan Danielson(c) vs. Homicide (w/Julius Smokes)- 8/10
Before the match, Joe comes out and puts over Cide for standing up for ROH at the last show. Then he announces that he is the Special Guest Ring Announcer for this match (no explanation is given of how he got this job).
I didn’t like how much the ref let them get away with here, and I didn’t like Cide (the babyface) using a low blow. The match ended via Ref Stoppage after Dragon’s elbows. Gabe had been doing commentary putting over two things 1) that it was Cide’s destiny to win the ROH World Title, and 2) in the past, when he has felt screwed out of the ROH World Title, Homicide has gone F*CKING INSANE. This lead perfectly to the finish, and its aftermath. The fans, and everyone want 5 more minutes (I’m not sure why, seeing as how the issue was a ref stoppage, not a draw. They should be asking for the match to resume with its normal time limit). Then ROH Lt. Commissioner Adam Pearce came out (on the phone with injured ROH Commissioner Jim Cornette) and said that Cide didn’t give up, and that he wasn’t pinned or knocked out… but the ref made his decision in the interests of safety, and the ref’s decisions must be respected. Cide went F*CKING INSANE, and charged the ref, while Joe, Pearce, and Smokes tried to hold him back. This was GENIUS booking by Gabe, as it put Homicide’s loyalty to ROH (which had just been established at the last show) back in question, disguising the fact that it was also setting up the Homicide vs. Cornette feud and Cide’s quest for the title (no one saw Cornette’s turn on Cide coming when it happened!), which would be the major angle that would carry ROH for the second half of 2006.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Austin Aries & Roderick Strong(c) vs. The Briscoe Brothers- 7.5/10. Gen Next uses Candido’s Way as a finish, which was kind of random.
After the match, Aries cuts a promo officially scrapping the Generation Next name, since they are now all top guys in ROH.

The DVD ends with a good promo by Davey Richards, setting up for a rematch with Jimmy Rave. Gary Michael Capetta says “I think we might have found our next candidate for super-stardom.” Destiny fulfilled.

Overall, this was a pretty good show, with most of the matches being above 7/10, but only one match really worth going out of your way to see.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Re: BRM Reviews ROH Destiny

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 11th, '11, 00:42

what's Candido's Way?

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews ROH Destiny

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '11, 01:45

badnewzxl wrote:what's Candido's Way?
Powerbomb & Dropkick finisher that the Naturals used while he managed them.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3