BRM Reviews Weekend of Champions, Night 1

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews Weekend of Champions, Night 1

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 6th, '11, 22:57

ROH Weekend of Champions: Night 1 (4/28/2006)- Dayton, OH

The DVD opens with a good backstage segment involving Lcay & Jimmy Jacobs, then a good promo by Daniels.

COLT CABANA vs. JIMMY JACOBS (w/Lacey)- 6/10

GREAT SEGMENT with Cornette, Ace Steel, & Colt Cabana. It established that Colt will be on Team ROH in tonight’s main event and also got over Cabana’s “I’ve been brawling for so long I forgot how to wrestle” angle.

SPUD & JAY FURY vs. IRISH AIRBORNE- 5/10. VERY enjoyable spotfest.

NIGEL MCGUINNESS PROMO- Great

DELIRIOUS vs. JIMMY RAVE (w/ Daizee Haze)- 6/10. Never really picked up.

ROH PURE TITLE MATCH: Nigel McGuinness(c) vs. Christopher Daniels- 6.75/10. Nigel retains the belt by count-out, by throwing a female photographer in Daniels’ way, right before the 20 count. This was okay, but the crowd hated it (not in a heat way- in a “we are disappointed by this finish” way).

DRAGON PROMO- Good. Then Joe shows up and tells Dragon that once he is done with CZW, Joe is coming for the ROH World Title.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Bryan Danielson(c) vs. Jimmy Yang- 7.5/10. Dragon was great here and Yang was solid, but I didn’t like Yang cheating to get out of the surfboard.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Austin Aries & Roderick Strong(c) vs. Samoa Joe & Matt Sydal- 8.25/10

ANYTHING GOES MATCH: Team ROH (Colt Cabana, Adam Pearce, BJ Whitmer, & Matt Sydal) vs. Team CZW (Nate Webb, Necro Butcher, Claudio Castagnoli, & Super Dragon)- 7.25/10 Much more of a brawl than a match.

Overall, this show was alright. There was a lot of stuff on it that was close to being great, but not there yet.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3