BRM Reviews ROH Man Up

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH Man Up

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 8th, '11, 15:41

ROH Man Up (9/15/2007)- Chicago, IL

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH: Nigel McGuinness vs. Naomichi Marufuji vs. Claudio Castagnoli
vs. Chris Hero (w/Larry Sweeney, Bobby Dempsey, Sara Del Rey, & Tank Toland)- 6.5/10
- On his way to the ring, Nigel cuts a very good babyface promo. Some guy jumps the rails dressed in a black bandana and hoodie, and screams “AGE OF THE FALL!” I wonder what that could mean?
- Sweeney cuts a great promo.

BRYAN DANIELSON PROMO- Dragon cut a good promo, establishing himself as a babyface. Some of the weight of the promo is unfortunately lost because of the hilarious visual of Dragon wearing a eye-patch.

RESILIENECE vs. NO REMORSE CORPS- BEST OF THREE SERIES:
Match 1: Matt Cross (Resilience) vs. Rocky Romero (NRC)- 6/10. Lots of good, past-paced action.

Match 2: Austin Aries (Resilience) vs. Davey Richards (NRC)-7.25/10!

Match 3: Erick Stevens (Resilience) vs. Roderick Strong (NRC)- 7.5/10
This series was extremely well done. They had all six guys around the ring the entire time, and the matches just flowed seamlessly from one to the next.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Takeshi Morishima(c) vs. Bryan Danielson- Shorter than you would expect (12 minutes), but it made sense with the angle, and it told a great story. 7.75/10.

LADDER WAR FOR THE ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES: The Briscoe Brothers(c) vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico- 9.75/10! So close to perfect, but there were one or two spots where one guy was slow getting up, so the other guy had to fumble around with the belts at the top of the ladder for way too long.
Mark Briscoe DOVE THROUGH THE LADDER to hit the Springboard Doomsday Device! And that was just one of the dozens of SICK spots in this match. Great crowd brawling, great weapons shots… WOW!
And then…

AGE OF THE FALL DEBUT!- Jimmy Jacobs & the debuting Tyler Black jump out of the crowd and confront the Briscoes… while NECRO BUTCHER (followed by Lacey) comes out of the crowd form the opposite side and jumps the Briscoes. Necro tells the camera “I told you… if you let me out of my cage, I’m gonna pile them bodies straight to the sky.” They tie one of the Briscoes to the thing that holds the belts up, and he is hoisted into the air, while Jimmy Jacobs cuts a promo, standing beneath him, while the Briscoes’ blood drips down onto Jimmy (who is wearing a coat that started out as pure white). THIS WAS AWESOME!

Bonus matches:
ROH TOP OF THE CLASS TROPHY MATCH: Mitch Franklin(c) “Sugarfoot” Alex Payne-4/10. Very short.
It is interesting to look back at Mitch before he became the Lumberjack that we all know and love.

SARA DEL REY & LACEY vs. DAIZEE HAZE & AMAZING KONG- 6.5/10. The gave the women almost 15 minutes, which was great. One of ROH’s recent shortcomings has been not giving the women (specifically the Kong vs. Del Rey matches) enough time.

CHASYN RANCE & KENNY KING (w/Valerie Malone) vs. BRENT ALBRIGHT & BJ WHITMER (w/Shane Hagadorn)- 4.75/10.
After the match, Whitmer and Albright cut a promo announcing that the name of their stable (w/Adam Pearce) is “The Hangmen 3.” The crowd responds by chanting “CHANGE YOUR NAME!”

JACK EVANS vs. TYLER BLACK- No Rating. Very soon, Jimmy Jacobs and Necro Butcher come out and attack Evans. Irish Airborne make the save, leading to a 6 man tag team match.
- AGE OF THE FALL (Jacobs, Tyler, & Necro) vs. IRISH AIRBORNE & JACK EVANS- 5.5/10- really just a fight with a referee. There was some awkwardness as to why the official result was what it was.

DELIRIOUS vs. MATT SYDAL (w/Larry Sweeney)- 8/10- Great sendoff for Sydal in his final ROH match.

Overall, this show was OUTSTANDING. A must buy! The NRC vs. Resilience stuff was great, Dragon & Morishima was extremely good, given only twelve minutes, and the Ladder War was almost perfect. The Age of the Fall stuff kicked ass, and I liked the way that they structured to card to allow Sydal to be in the final match as his send-off.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3