Kirbs2002 Reviews APW's Cow Palace Royale

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
kirbs2002

Kirbs2002 Reviews APW's Cow Palace Royale

Post by kirbs2002 » May 9th, '17, 14:10

Attended in person, approximate seat is lower box, back row. Basically as far back as I can get so I have better perhipheral vision. Also partway through the opening event, I moved another section to the left because I had a drunk asshole heckler in front of me.

Opening.

First we begin being greeted by APW ring announcer AJ Kirsch. Mic problems are intermittent and will be throughout the rest of the night, Kirsch handles it well. Also it's hard to make out the names because of reverb/echo. Kirsch invites out the ring announcer from the NWA territory days Alan Bolte, who also gives a little talk of his own before inviting Pat Patterson, who won the local US Heavyweight Championship five times, as well as 11 local world tag titles.

On a side note, the attendance looks to be around I'd say 3-4 thousand, a VERY far cry from when Roy Shire would pack this place to capacity every show 40 years ago.

So Bolte turns the mic back over to Kirsch, who announces our first bout of the evening.

30-man SF Rules Battle Royale

We start off with two competitors, and there wasn't more than five guys in the ring at once. In homage to Roy Shire's territory (who did a battle royale in this very house as their premiere show), eliminations are over the top rope touching the floor, by pin, or by submission. X-Pac made an appearance, knocked a few guys out and got a bronco buster high spot in. Was never a lull or slow moment, which is what you want from something like this. Jacob Fatu wins by pinning Willie Mack

Grade: B

Three-way Dance: Candice LeRae vs Rachael Ellering vs Shotzi, triple threat rules

This felt like an "intermission match," maybe it was the women or the book telling them to take it easy. I'm inclined to give the wrestlers the benefit of the doubt and go with them being told to keep it light. This honestly should have been the opening match, given that there really wasn't much notable that went on. Shotzi wins by pinning Ellering

Grade: D+

APW Tag Team Championship match: Lion Power (Will Hobbs & Marcus Lewis) vs The Classic Connection (C) (Levi Shapiro & Buddy Royal) & Brian Zane, three-on-two handicap tag match.

Wow, this is quite remniscent of an old Midnight Express match, where the babyfaces get the manager in the ring to keep an eye on him. Great build with Classic just working over the babyface, until a hot tag. Victory comes when Shapiro takes Lewis to the corner so Zane can gimmick him in the face, but Lewis ducks, Shapiro gets sprayed, Zane somehow gets tagged in and soon receives a 450 splash. Lion Power wins by pin (Lewis pinning Zane), new APW Tag Team Champions.

Grade: A-

APW Premier Women's Championship: Ruby Raze vs Shayna Baszler (C)

Decent match, brawler Ruby Raze roughs up Shayna, then a comeback, teasing a sleeper (How about that?) a few times. Near the end Raze, who uses a gimmick remniscent of Freddy Kruger (but about 100 lb heavier and female) slips on her claw glove, the referee catches it at the last minute and slips it away. Raze starts screaming at the referee, givng Baszler time to lock in a sleeper in the middle of the ring, Raze taps out. Baszler wins by submission.

Grade: B-

San Franciso Deathmatch: Jeckles the Jester vs JR Kratos, with Kevin Sullivan as ringside enforcer.

Ugh, hardcore BS. Trying to give as fair a shake as I can, I guess it did alright. Jeckles brings out a table, of which I missed the spot because I was blocked by everyone in front of me standing and the barricade, same for Sullivan's involvement. Thumbtacks come out, absolutely disgusting. Eventually Kratos delivers a piledriver onto the tacks and gets the win. Kratos wins by pin.

Grade: C

Intermission.

Alan Bolte comes back to welcome us, brings back Pat Patterson who talks up the venue and his time here (of course, not mentioning that he was a dirty, rotten heel for almost his whole run). Gets interrupted by Ric Flair-wannabe Dylan Drake who puts him and the fans down, but Patterson puts him in his place with a low blow. Eventually Kirsch is brought back and we're back to wrestling.

APW Worldwide Internet Championship: "BFD" Karl Fredericks vs Will Cuevas (C)

Pretty good, balanced match that didn't try to spotfest and had a decent build to the finish. Fredericks wins by pin, new APW Worldwide Internet champion.

Postmatch there's a stare-down and words exchanged, but then the two shake hands and depart the ring with respect for one another.

APW Universal Heavyweight Championship: Brian Cage vs Jeff Cobb vs John Morrison vs Luster The Legend (C)

Most of these guys were techical/brawling big men, obviously except Morrison. Good spots all around, false finishes, broken up pins, and kept constant action throughout the length. Very good semi-main event. Jeff Cobb wins by pinning Cage, new APW Universal Heavyweight Champion.

Small intermission sees Kirsch interact with the fans as we get setup for our main event.

Cage Match: Joey Ryan vs Cody Rhodes.

Ugh, fuck Joey Ryan. True to form, he got his stupid little dick spot in, at least he didn't flash us all. Decent build with a near-escape broken by a Cody Rhodes electric chair. Some interference as two masked people stop a Rhodes escape, and throw a chair in. One comes back, revealing to be Candice LeRae, who then grabs Rhodes by his junk for a suplex. Brandi Rhodes comes in, and nearly gives a Dream Street to LeRae, only to be superkicked by Ryan. LeRae sets up Cody for one, but he ducks and LeRae gets KO'ed. Joey tries for one last escape, but Cody stops him for a superplex off the top. Rhodes finally wins by escape.

Grade: C, would have been a B+ or A- with anyone but Joey Ryan. Did I mention fuck Joey Ryan?

AJ Kirsch thanks everyone for coming, mentioning APW's upcoming shows, and that there will be another Cow Palace show in September.

Overall show grade: B
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Kirbs2002 Reviews APW's Cow Palace Royale

Post by cero2k » May 9th, '17, 14:19

I'm jealous, i was so close to flying in for this, i've always wanted to go to a big show to the cow palace

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » May 9th, '17, 17:21

cero2k wrote:I'm jealous, i was so close to flying in for this, i've always wanted to go to a big show to the cow palace

Shit, man. That's a shame, but they said they're coming back to the arena in September

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 9th, '17, 17:44

That's really awesome that they got Pat to show up.

Is Baszler as good as the hype? Everything I've heard says that she's coming along REALLY fast as is quite great for her level of experience.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » May 9th, '17, 18:03

It looks like she's a legit MMA fighter who's taken up wrestling. This was a pretty standard babyface vs monster heel type of match so I can't say for sure