BRM Reviews the 1/14/2015 Lucha Underground (awesome)

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/14/2015 Lucha Underground (awesome)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 15th, '15, 18:23

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- a good recap of important events

DARIO CUETO MEETS WITH FENIX IN HIS OFFICE- Cueto sees big things for Phoenix, so he wants Phoenix to destroy Prince Puma and take the Lucha Underground Championship from him, thus embarrassing Konan. Fenix says that he fights for himself, not for Cueto, but seems willing to at least try to do it for the sake of winning the title. There was some extra focus on a red sculpture of a bull. Also, Angela Fong secretly spied on their meeting through the shades of the window.

FOUR WAY ELIMINATION MATCH: Aero Star vs. Argenis vs. Angelico vs. Cage- 6.75/10
Great opener, and a great showcase for all four guys; especially Cage (obviously). Vamprio completely failed to be able to describe Argensis’ style. The only word he could come up with was “conflictive.”
After the match Cage cut a promo in which he told us that they call him “Cage” because he is not a man. He’s a machine. Okay… then shouldn’t they call you “Robot” or “Tractor” or “Cash Register” or something? What does a cage have to do with machines?

CHAVO GUERRERO JR. & BLUE DEMON JR. SEGMENT- huh. Well that was different.
Chavo says he wants to apologize to Blue Demon Jr. He calls Demon out, and Demon shows up. I’m sure everyone can see where this is going. Even Blue Demon Jr. could, because he was clearly suspicious. Chavo into the whole “I’m sorry I didn’t beat you up worse/sooner etc.” speech we’ve all heard a million times, saying he would rip Demon’s mask off and cover it with a mask of blood, etc… except that Chavo said all of this BEFORE he tried to attack Demon. That’s… different.
Chavo sneakily pulled out brass knuckles and went to punch Demon with them, but Demon ducked and got the best of Chavo and beat him up with a chair. I actually liked this a lot. It was too early to do another big heat-getting attack angle, so what they turned it on its head by letting Chavo first lay out the new direction for this feud, then having Demon get the best of Chavo, in essence making a comeback in the meta-match of this feud, and giving Chavo a reason to be even more pissed at Demon and come back with an even more vicious attack next time.

DRAGO vs. KING CUERNO- no rating, eh segment.
I get the idea of what they did (they hate each other so much they’ll dive off of a building to hurt the other guy rather than win the match), but there probably should have been at least one DQ in here.

LUCHA UNDERGROUND TITLE MATCH: Prince Puma(c) vs. Fenix- 8/10
Was it really spotty? Yes. But they sold well enough and the spots were all damn cool.
What wasn’t cool was Matt Striker’s announcing, talking about how Lucha Underground is “reconditioning the world to love and appreciate wrestling” or something like that- shut the f*ck up you pretentious schmuck. And that rant about signature spots happening at different points in every match? EVERY MATCH IS LIKE THAT, unless they’re doing the same exact match twice. If one move follows another in every match, that’s a signature sequence!

CAGE ATTACKS PRINCE PUMA- good.

An awesome episode of Lucha Underground.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Vampiro (about hated rivals King Cuerno and Drago)- “They’ve got so much compassion that they have no concern for their bodies.”
What?

2. Striker- “This has become something we’ve become familiar with here in Lucha Underground: Every time a table is drawn out from underneath the ring, it usually has some unpredictable consequences.”
What? No it doesn’t! In fact, the consequences are usually extremely predictable: someone will wind up going through the table!

3. Striker mentioned that Fenix stole the 450 splash from Prince Puma, and Vampiro responded by telling Striker not to make Vampiro hot at him by saying such things because Puma must have stolen that move from guys like “Jushin Liger and Great Sasuke.” Neither one of those two men have ever don a 450 splash. If you’re going to get indignant why don’t you make sure that you don’t sound like an idiot while doing so?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 1/14/2015 Lucha Underground (awesome)

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 12th, '17, 10:57

... Yeah, I've gotta say, Vampiro definitely bar none has the absolute strangest commentary style I've ever seen.

I'm completely unfamiliar with him though, is there something I should know, like personality wise? Lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 12th, '17, 12:46

KILLdozer wrote:... Yeah, I've gotta say, Vampiro definitely bar none has the absolute strangest commentary style I've ever seen.

I'm completely unfamiliar with him though, is there something I should know, like personality wise? Lol

in kayfabe, you'll start understanding more and more as the story unfolds, he's a character with a dark past. When it comes to storytelling and acting, he's one of the best commentators out there right now.

as for real life commentary, he's really just a super mark, he really gets excited when the stuff in the ring is great, like he really enjoys watching wrestling, and at least with me, it's super contagious, I get excited when he gets excited.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 13th, '17, 00:14

cero2k wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:... Yeah, I've gotta say, Vampiro definitely bar none has the absolute strangest commentary style I've ever seen.

in kayfabe, you'll start understanding more and more as the story unfolds, he's a character with a dark past. When it comes to storytelling and acting, he's one of the best commentators out there right now.

Fixed that for you.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3